The Wilson House
GUIDE TO GIVING
Located in the small town of East Dorset, Vermont, The Wilson House was the birthplace in 1895 of Bill Wilson, a co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous. In the mid-1980s, Ozzie L. who came to visit Bill’s grave on a nearby hillside, saw The House and had a vision to preserve it as a living memorial to Bill Wilson.
In 1987, Ozzie purchased the property, which had been operating as a hotel intermittently since 1852, but had more recently fallen into neglect and disrepair. An extensive restoration campaign, combining fundraising with hands-on work by many volunteers, has brought about an amazing transformation. Ozzie has since passed on, but today, The Wilson House is again a special place where people gather to share the gift of sobriety and share their journey in recovery.
To carry out Ozzie’s intent for this historic property, a nonprofit organization was established, which is not affiliated with Alcoholics Anonymous or any other sect, denomination, political organization or institution. The House and programs are overseen by a volunteer Board of Directors, guided by our bylaws, as well as by a loving God, the principles of AA, and the wisdom of Bill Wilson’s own writings. Day-to-day operations, depending on the needs of The House, are handled by management, staff and a multitude of volunteers who come from locally, around the country and around the world.
The Wilson House needs your help. There are many ways to help continue the work of The Wilson House. As Bill Wilson explains in AA’s Seventh Tradition, (this is) “where money and spirituality mix.” We encourage friends of The Wilson House to contribute directly to one of the following funds:
The Operating Fund, which covers the day-to-day expenses, such as employee payroll, household consumables, maintenance and repair work, utilities and insurance;
The Prudent Reserve Fund, whose principle purpose is to provide the financial resources necessary to continue essential services at The Wilson House of East Dorset for up to a year, in the event of an unexpected and substantial reduction in the normal revenues of the organization; or
The Building Preservation Fund, which has been established for capital improvements and repairs.
Visiting The Wilson House
Whether you join us for your first visit or your tenth, you’ll feel right at home amid the small-town atmosphere of East Dorset, Vermont, The Wilson House (listed on the National Register of Historic Places), the Griffith Library (where Bill Wilson slept as a boy in his grandparents’ home) and the fellowship of other visitors, as well as our friendly staff and volunteers.
View a schedule on our website at WilsonHouse.org and plan to attend one of many 12-step meetings, seminars or special events, or ask our staff to help you set up a special event, group function or retreat of your own.
Volunteering at The Wilson House
Volunteers are the lifeblood of The Wilson House, and there is a need for volunteers year-round. There is no better experience in personal and spiritual growth than to give to others. You will enjoy a comfortable room, great food and the company of other program people.
Giving to The Wilson House
There are many ways to support The Wilson House and help ensure that it will be there for years to come. Donations may be tax-deductible if they are within the provisions of 501(c)(3) Internal Revenue Code.
Here are some of the ways that you can contribute:
- Make a pledge to make a regular monthly payment.
- Mail a check, payable to The Wilson House of East Dorset. Our mailing address is: P.O. Box 46, East Dorset, VT 05253. Please include your return address so we can mail you a receipt.
- Call us at (802) 362-5524 to make a donation by credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover) over the phone.
- Deposit cash or a check in one of the donation boxes located at The Wilson House and Griffith Library.
- Set up an automatic online payment for a one-time, weekly, monthly or annual donation via PayPal (see separate link).
- Set up a Charitable Gift Annuity of your own that will contribute to The Wilson House on a monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual basis.
- Bequest in your will directly to our General Fund, Operating Fund, Prudent Reserve Fund or Building Preservation Fund.
- Arrange to make in-kind donations of materials, supplies, furnishings and other items that we need.
- Donate stocks and/or bonds.
- Arrange a donation through a trust fund, or through a private or family foundation.
- Arrange to have a donation made through a life insurance policy.
- Donation towards or sponsorship for a limited term or ongoing staff position.
Any donation can be marked as restricted to assist with a specific item or cause as desired.
P.O. Box 46 East Dorset, VT 05253-0046
378 Village St., East Dorset, VT 05253
Telephone (802) 362-5524
We look forward to hearing from you.